Saturday, July 21, 2012

Snail Mail


If you are a fan of The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis then you should remember the scene when Lucy returns from her full day trip in Narnia for the first time, only to find not second had past since she had entered the wardrobe. Well that is exactly what camp is like.

An hour here seems like a day and a day feels like a week. Time is not something that one can count on up here on the mountain and our memories become somewhat muddled on when a particular incident actually accrued. Causing us to sit and ponder over what actually happened today and what happened the week before, in the end creating more funny memories.

But no matter what day we think it is, the sun finds her own way to remind us when it is time to do important things. When I awake in the morning I am greeted with the pale yellow sun peaking through the trees, telling me it's time to rise with it and when the sun reaches its unbearable heat, I know that lunch will soon be on it's way. Though this may all seem like common sense, it is common sense most of us have seem to forgotten. Our generation is so caught up in its modern trappings, that we forget we have all the answers right outside our front door.


One thing that we have seem to forgotten in this modern time is the original way of long distance of communication. With everyone on Facebook and Twitter we have seem to forgotten the beauty of a letter and with that we have become a very impatient generation. My heart longs for the days when people would receive a letter filled with meaningful lines scripted in the long forgotten art of calligraphy. I would much rather use that form of correspondence over a three worded text message any day.

For most of my life I have tried to communicate through letter with my friends but very rarely would any of them reply because, according to them, it's ridiculous to wait for mail when we only live a short distance away from one another. But now that I am living in a place that has no cell phone service they have finally given into my request of becoming "pen pals".

With each new letter I receive I feel as though I am becoming one of the characters from my beloved Austen or Gaskell novels. I love it when the post brings me a short sealed story about some excited venture my friends or family have gone on. And since I have so many new stories to tell now, I cannot wait to send some out as well.

HKx

No comments:

Post a Comment